Reports to: Site Manager
Education Requirements: Reading, writing, math and comprehension skills normally acquired through completion of high school.
Experience: 2-3 years commissioning experience or 4-6 years of construction supervision experience preferred.
Position Summary: The Commissioning Foreman provides onsite leadership in the planning and execution of the site specific commissioning process in accordance with the guidelines and procedures established in the Blattner Commissioning Program.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs a detailed review of the design documents, contract specification and utility requirements to familiarize with the project requirements.
- With the assistance of the Commissioning Principal, prepares a site specific Commissioning Program that provides a step by step, system by system write-up of commissioning activities required.
- Prepare and coordinate a formal project commissioning kickoff meeting with the client and subcontractors.
- Implement LOTO program with the Electrical Superintendent for the project. Assist with writing site specific Lock Out/Tag Out procedures, communicating necessary LOTO to field personnel and ensure that LOTO is followed
- Coordinate with Commissioning Principal to plan resources and test equipment allocations.
- Review and verify that all construction quality and testing documentation meet project design and specification requirements.
- Participate in the system walkdown process to ensure system is complete and ready to energize.
- Prepare a detailed Weekly and Daily Commissioning work plan that identifies each device and system to be tested as well as overall progress of the commissioning activities.
- Review the Daily Work Plan with the Site Manager, vendors and client to communicate the days planned activities. Ensure the plan aligns with the Project Schedule.
- Prepare and conduct a Daily Tailboard Safety meeting with all on-site personnel involved with commissioning activities.
- Supervise and ensure all testing activities adhere to the Site Risk Assessment and Daily Work Plans. Verify that testing methods are in accordance with Best Practices and performed by qualified employees.
- Ensure that all test equipment is appropriate for the task, properly calibrated, and approved per the project specifications.
- Assist with writing site specific Energization procedures and communicating necessary information to field personnel to ensure the procedure is followed
- Verify the proper layout and orientation of all project equipment.
- Oversee and review all testing and test results completed by BEI or others. Review and approve test results as required.
- Prepare and issue the commissioning report and all test results
- Review and verify that all site commissioning documentation are complete.
Issue the Field Copy of construction drawings (scans or hard copies as Client prefers) to the Engineer of Record for as-built drafting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to supervise and lead employees
- Ability to know and understand drawings and specifications and can visualize what is being built from drawings
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time in different areas of a project
- Strong in areas of scheduling, planning, and materials procurement
- Ability to identify material and recommend replacements based on industry standards and availability in the marketplace
- Understanding of all mechanical and electrical systems including inverters, transformers, mounting systems and SCADA, Substation equipment knowledge preferred.
- Complete Knowledge of HV (High Voltage) / MV (Medium Voltage) Construction
- Has a background in all of the electrical trades we currently perform (Collection, Substation, and Solar) and is interchangeable in all segments
- Knowledgeable of applicable electrical codes and the application for job specific tasks
- Understands and can direct testing activities in PV array, substation or collection system
- Ability to read and understand wiring drawings and schematics, and to be able to troubleshoot issues as they arise with regard to wiring and SCADA problems
- Read wiring diagrams, points lists, single line, three line, layout, plan, profile, grading, foundations, steel, specifications as required to construct, test, and commission the HV/MV project
- Can review basic acceptance test reports for typical HV/MV/LV equipment
- Must have a valid driver license and an acceptable motor vehicle driving record (MVR)
- Extensive travel is required throughout the United States with extended periods of time spent at jobsite locations (i.e. weeks or months at a time)
Location/Region: Avon, MN